The year’s shortest month has whizzed by and it’s time to start the countdown to when we’ll get to ditch our coats for t-shirts. If you live where it’s snowy, perhaps you got to escape for a few days like I did. The snow is not gone however, as evidenced by this pic of my backyard this morning! Here’s a recap on the highlights from last month you won’t want to miss.
1. February was black history month; Kylie Quetell’s piece gives some great tips on how white people can celebrate and honor black history.
3. Have you heard of Upturn? They are an advocacy group that promotes equity and justice in design, governance, and use of digital technology. They recently wrote an important and thought provoking piece calling for closer examination of hiring algorithms. In particular, they call for a re-visitation of the value of correlation as a signal for validity. This one is worth watching.
5. Want to glean insights from 130,000 job seekers? The Talent Board published their research report based on the data from their 9th consecutive year of doing The Candidate Experience Awards. Among other things, this report explains why referrals, rapid feedback, and phone calls are so important.
6. Check out Tim Sacket’s piece observing the great ideas and innovation session at the Recruiting Trends Conference. He discusses blowing up the traditional demo and the challenges that poses for both the vendor and the buyer. I think he’s onto something.
8. Want to boost your social recruiting game? Check out this CareerArc Facebook Recruiting Playbook Webinar with Mira Greenland. Watch and learn about the value of emojis and direct content + several other insightful and directly actionable tips.
9. Noteworthy acquisitions:
- K2 puts in 200M to acquires majority stake in JobVite while rolling in Talemetry, RolePoint and Canvas. — read my take.
- Hellman & Friedman pays 11B to take Ultimate Software private. Read the Sun Sentinel’s take.
10. Noteworthy funds raised:
- 100M: blue collar job board: Jobcase
- 32.4M: freelancer platform: Malt
- 16.12M: employee and gig shift management: Humanforce
- 13M: career pathing technology: Landit
- 11M: video based employee communication: Loom
- 10.5M: employee communication: Threads
- 7M: employee polling: Polly.ai
- 4M: employee management and onboarding: Sapling
- Undislosed: recruitment crm: Beamery received investment/partnership from Workday
Thank you Talent Products Plays for easy access to fundraising and acquisition information (9 and 10 above) – their listings is more exhaustive than mine, I’ve just hit on some the bigger transactions.
Shorter than the month of Feb, here is the GraceRock monthly quiz. It’s time to test your noggins on recent recruitment happenings.
- True or False: According to a study from Aptitude Research, companies who use chatbots fill their positions 2Xs as fast.
- According to SmartRecruiters study, the impacts of GDPR regulations on recruiting:
- A. Has lead to a mass elimination of applicant data
- B. Has lead to more accurate data and happier candidates
- C. Has had serious negative impacts on candidate apply rates
- D. Has resulted in at least 50 lawsuits
- What company acquired TextKernel in Jan of this year?
- According to Josh Bersin, what technology is poised to disrupt the learning market?
- Who was Ford’s first female engineering co-op?